Sunday, January 27, 2013

Life advice from a plumber, No, he wasn't SuperMario

So today at work a plumber came to quote a job for a suite and we got talking about just life in general.  He offered me something real and no bs.  He said "Jack, study and work for money, at the end of the day, it'll make or break living a fulfilling life."  Those weren't his exact words but he did say that you as an employee will always just be an employee, all bosses don't give a F about you.  You're either making them money or not.  That's the cold hard fact he told me.

I accepted his position on the subject and wanted to add my piece about how there are some employers out there that reward their workforce but decided against it as our elevator ride was coming to an end.  He did get me thinking though, and he's not wrong.  There are many employers that fail to fully manage and exploit their HR but providing an healthy and positive work environment.  Example would be when I worked my ass off going above and beyond, there was initial recognition of my efforts, say a pat on the back and then a lashing for doing too much, what gives?  I do my job with my 100% and more and rebuked?, and now there are times that another pat on the back once in a while wouldn't hurt to motivate me to do more again.

But anyways, he has his point of view, I have mine.  It's good to share and view things from other people's perspectives.

Onto another topic, got to work on my CC#2.  It's coming along okay but I am having trouble focusing the speech onto a coherent smooth piece tonight.  I will give it a go tomorrow before and after vball.  It's gonna be 101001010% times better than my impromptu icebreaker... as this time I will practice!! yes practice!!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment