Thursday, January 17, 2013

Icebroken on the fly :-D

Lastnight at Toastmasters meeting, to my consternation, I was thrown into the deepend of the pool. Due to miscommunication via email with the nights` TM, I was scheduled to deliver my icebreaker speech CC#1 when I thought I had signed up to do it on the 30th.

Taking cue from Erna`s advice when given the opportunity, seize it!  She called it the four S`s.  Stand up, speak, shut up, and sit down.

After the social break, Nancy introduced me and up I went.  I had three tales to share in my prepared speech.  given the circumstances, I improvised the introduction and continued to my three stories about myself. 

My transitions were sloppy as I had not practiced any of it.  Heck, I was going to trim and edit my speech this weekend at work.  But I got to tell the three stories and only went long over my 6 minutes because of two filler bits that wasn't even in my original speech.
This whole experience has taught me that knowing the material is important and some parts can be made up on the spot.  But, that leads to lost of control of the time and transitions.  So preparation is key to nailing that.  Also I was nervous, so practice would removed that. 

This weekend, I will go through my feedback from everyone and go writing my CC#2.  For I was a speech to give on the 30th!  :-)

I am glad I did it, everyone was very suppotive and encouraging.  Also on a side note, next time as table topic master.  Prepare the questions and make them unique so people cannot prepared ahead of time.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment